After 5 months of hard work, developers of MATE desktop yesterday announced the release of MATE Desktop 1.14 and sent a message of appreciation to all participants in the project. MATE Desktop offers Linux users an intuitive, beauty filled and more over attractive user interface with all the traditional analogies. The new version of MATE Desktop comes with abundant new features, enhancements and great functionalities which we shall talk about in the next section.
Features of MATE Desktop 1.14
It has numerous new features and these include:
- improved GTK+3 support
- full GTK 3.20 support in all the MATE themes available
- absolutely ported MATE system monitor and Mozo to GTK+3 only
- management of Python extension on Caja file manager
- selectable window modes
- client side decorated applications render correctly in all themes
- enabling/disabling volume and brightness OSD
- updated translations
- MATE panel with ability to change icon sizes for menubar and menu items
- MATE terminal supports VTE 2.91 API if built for GTK+3
- touchpad configuration support for independent edge and two-finger scrolling
You can check out all the different components of MATE Desktop 1.14 from here
How To Install MATE Desktop 1.14 in Ubuntu 16.04
Simply open your terminal and run the following commands.
To add ppa:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/xenial-mate
To update your system repository list:
sudo apt update
To install MATE Desktop 1.14 and other packages on your system:
sudo apt dist-upgrade
After successfully executing the commands above, restart your computer and you are set to use the latest version of MATE Desktop.
Here are some screen shots of the new MATE Desktop 1.14.
That is all, you now enjoy MATE Desktop 1.14 on Xenial Xerus with great features and enhanced functionalities.