digiKam is an advanced cross-platform digital photo management app inspired by photographers’ needs to view, tweak, enhance, organize, and share photographs across Linux systems.
It possesses all the tools and feature set necessary to process, manage, organize, and transfer photographs, videos, and RAW files – while consistently receiving optimization upgrades to its feature set and workflow.
The mission of the app developers is that you will be able to manage your photographs with the power of Open Source.
digiKam was created in 2008 and has received various major feature updates, performance improvements, and bug fixes since then. Its latest release, digiKam 5.5.0 was published in March and it introduced several improvements to its database design, among bug fixes and performance enhancements.
Features in digiKam
digiKam is an advanced photo editing management tool so we can not list all its features. But some of its highlights include:
- digiKam is free, Open Source, and available for anyone who has an interest joining development.
- Support for picture imports in multiple formats.
- View, edit and enhance photo items.
- Create calendar, slideshows, print, etc.
- Share creations to your web gallery, social media web services, etc.
- Photo editing presets e.g. Spektrum.
- Geotagging using bash scripting.
- Sorting photo albums by folder layout, custom collections, or chronologically.
- Plugin subsystem with tools including color correction, red eye correction, etc.
You can install digiKam using pre-compiled version from the default system repository, but the provided version by your default distribution repo is not the most recent stable version the digiKam team has released.
$ sudo apt-get install digikam [On Debian/Ubuntu] $ sudo dnf install digikam [On Fedora]
For other Linux distributions, you can head over to the digikam download page.
You might have used any of the latter but not digiKam and it’s thanks to Stephen MacIntosh for bringing it to our attention.
Do you have any other app suggestions in mind? Feel free to add them in the comments section below. And don’t forget to also share with us about your experience with digiKam.