Steam has been doing a great job ever since its arrival to Linux. In fact, we wouldn’t have been able to compile a list of The 25 Best Games for Linux without it. But as I always say, one of the beauties of the Linux platform is the availability of multiple options.
Even for Steam users, however, not most of the games in the market are available for GNU/Linux and so the good news is that there is another solution you can take advantage of today for free – that solution is PlayOnLinux.
PlayOnLinux is a free and open-source Gaming application with which you can easily install and play tons of games designed to run on Windows on the Linux OS free of charge.
Features in PlayOnLinux
I might not be able to exhaust the list of feature options PlayOnLinux offers but I sure can list the few best (in my opinion) among them:
- FOSS – free and open-source.
- No Windows License Required – use PlayOnLinux without owning any Windows OS at all.
- A Descendant of Wine – never worry about any of the complexity involved with playing any game versions.
- Support for Bash and Python – It has support for both Bash and Python.
- Installation Wizard – a walk-through to get you up and running with several games fast.
Before you jump to download PlayOnLinux you should know that like every other application in the market, it has bugs. So far the main issues users experience are:
- An occasional decrease in performance during gameplay as images may become shifty and possess less graphic details.
- The lack of support for all games. On the bright side, however, you can always use PlayOnLinux’s manual installation module.
Are you going to give PlayOnLinux a try? Don’t forget to return to share your experience with us. And if you are already familiar with PlayOnLinux then feel free to share your opinions about the app with us in the comments section below.
Compliments to SkyCore for suggesting PlayOnLinux in our article on The 20 Must-Have Ubuntu Apps in 2017.